Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Writing on the Wall Wednesdays


My sister (shimmy shake) introduced me to another wonderful author/illustrator. Oliver Jeffers' childrens books are clever and a lot of fun to read. My boys love the illustrations, and I think I love them because they remind me of my boys! Some favorites are: Lost and Found, and How to Catch a Star. If you get a chance check out his website www.oliverjeffers.com and click on picture books. You'll want to own all of them!

I also wanted to post about another great author, but for once it's not a childrens author. I am a huge fan of Mary Lawson. She was born and raised in a small farming community in Northern Ontario and her writing reflects that. The two that I've read are Crow Lake, and The Other Side of the Bridge. Both are beautifully written and make you feel as if you've known the characters your whole life! I highly recommend checking them out...you won't be disappointed.

4 comments:

Janine said...

I'm going to try those Lawson books, thanks for the tip.

Leah said...

Thanks for the recommendation... I am totally going to check out these authors! I need a good book now that twilight is over :( We are planning a trip up that way the end of November.. would love to see you!

MA said...

I really need to start reading novels again. It is on my 28 things before 29 list. Thanks for the tip on Mary Lawson...ever find that copy of Crow Lake?

Jamie said...

I think I've actually read one of those books - new author to look up at the library!
Interesting that you like Mary Lawson - I thought Crow Lake was all right, but not worth all the hype, so I never gave her newer one a chance. Maybe I should...