Sunday, February 22, 2009

In honor of Oscar night, my mom made pies from the movie The Waitress. Now I don't think the movie won many awards the pies should have. They were so much fun to eat - so I thought I'd post the recipe for one of my favorites:

I Don’t Want Earl’s Baby Pie

1 pie crust
4 Tbs. butter
3 slices ham
8 green onions
1 C. brie cheese
1 C. parmesan cheese, grated
4 eggs
2 C. heavy cream
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cover pie crust with foil and bake for 10 minutes. Remove foil and bake 5 minutes more. Remove crust and reduce heat to 325 degrees.
2. Julienne ham. Chop green onions.
3. In skillet, saute ham until brown. Remove and set aside.
4. Saute onion until tender. Remove with slotted spoon and combine with ham.
5. Spread on bottom of pie crust. Spread brie over ham mixture and sprinkle with parmesan. Combine eggs, cream and nutmeg; pour over cheese. Bake 30 minutes or until set. Cool slightly, cut into wedges and serve.

Serves 8.



(picture courtesy of masak-masak.blogspot.com)

5 comments:

Jamie said...

Oh I LOVE that movie! The pie looks yummy.

Two Mittens said...

Your mom rocks!
Oddly enough, this is the second time this week I've read this recipe with reference to that movie...must get pie now...!

b.liz said...

That movie is great (the best part was watching her make the pies with such emotion.) and what a great idea for a party! I always wanted to try the 'I Can’t Have No Affair Because It’s Wrong And I Don’t Want Earl To Kill Me Pie' - hold the banana. Hilarious! Did you make this one?
http://waitressmovie.net/jennas-pies/

rockstar said...

I know! I loved the end when she was singing to her little girl while making pies. Soooo cute! We didn't make the affair pie, but did the Falling in Love Chocolate Mousse pie. It was to die for.

MA said...

I had no idea you were back..yahoo!! Also had no idea mom did this on Oscar night. I guess I truly am the worst daughter. That does look delicious though, so fun! Will have to try it!